Friday 3 February 2012

Chapter 4 (part 2)

"Eos! How's it going?" Tara asked, hugging her. 

Eos' guards were clamoured by the younger girls in the Desert Gem already. Eos sighed, sipping the juice. "It's been over a couple of months since Master Azea bought me, and honestly, I think I'm really getting fat," Eos complained.

"Really?" 

"Yes! He's feeding me too much! And when I'm not practising my dancing or fighting, he expects me to laze around and eat with him day in and day out! How does he stay fit….?" she complained, slumping over the table. 

"Maybe he's just luckier than you," Tara said, helping herself to a raisin. 

"I'm trying to cut down here…" 

"Why don't you just tell him that you're getting fat and ask him not to make you eat so much anymore?" 

"But the food up there taste so good…" 

Tara laughed and Eos sighed, sitting up properly, "Anyway, I heard from Mother earlier that your persistent admirer hasn't given up yet," she said. 

This time it was Tara's turn to sigh, "No, he hasn't. It's beginning to get on my nerves. He's moved to the city, with his three wives," she said, rolling her eyes. Eos frowned, "Three?" she repeated. 

"Yes, not counting four bed slaves." 

"Wow- he must be rich." 

"And full of himself. Urgh, I can't stand it at all." 

The sound of laughter made the pair look round to see the girls all giggling and laughing at a joke one of the guards had told them. "They're enjoying themselves," Tara observed. "Yeah- now there's always a little fight on who accompanies me down to visit you and Mother," Eos said. 

"Oh no- that reminds me, I have to collect the incense Mother ordered!" Tara said, "Give me a moment, I'll be right back. I hope they aren't closed for the afternoon yet. Mother will punish me if she finds out I forgot!" 

"I'll go with you, it'll be nice to walk round the town again," Eos said, "C'mon- if we slip out the back, my guards can continue their enjoyment." 

"So thoughtful." 

"Just move, before the afternoon rest begins." 

The two managed to sneak out the back with the two guards much to preoccupied with the girls, to notice. Eos adjusted the veil over her head, looking around her. There were beggars out, stalls, street performers or two, hungry children scrabbling about and reaching into people's pockets. Eos was once one of them. 

Having grown up on those streets, she had a sharp eye for such going-ons. "Somehow- I'm just thankful I'm out of it," she murmured just loud enough for Tara to here. The older girl looked at her, "Yeah- you are a lucky one. Master Azea's family usually let slaves stay on, just changing their duties instead, right?" 

"That's what I hear," Eos replied, "A lot of Lord Griffin's former bed slaves now work in other parts of the palace but they are confined to ensure they do not have children with other men. That would most likely happen to me one day. But as long as I remain attractive and no other prettier girl comes his way, I can remain in Master Azea's immediate service for a good five to ten years. Even after his marriage to Lady Dareen, he expressed his wishes for me to remain as his dancer. But still- no one would want an ugly dancer." 

"True. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do when… you know… I get too old. I mean- Mother has hinted, that if I show I'm capable, she might leave the Desert Gem to me… but nothing is for certain," Tara said, looking worried, "Maybe I should accept the proposal." 

Eos hit Tara over the head. 

"Ow! …. Thanks, I needed that." 

"Your welcome." 

They arrived at the store that had heavily perfumed air and was, thankfully, still open. Tara gave him the order leaflet and the store owner went back to collect the order. "I hate this place. The air is so thick, I can hardly breathe," Eos complained. 

"I know," Tara said, flapping her hand to fan herself. 

There came a surprised voice, "Tara?"

Tara let out a small, very rude and unladylike curse before looking round. 

Eos did the same, her hand going straight for the baton she wore hidden in her dress that Master Azea had ordered her to wear that morning. A tall, rather proud looking man, came into the store. He was handsome enough but his skin was smooth enough to tell Eos that unlike Master Azea, this man did absolutely no labour or fighting. And he had a weak chin he hid with a small, well trimmed beard. But she noticed he had a roving eye that most men who came to the Desert Gem had. 

"Hello, Master Leorn," Tara said with a polite bow before turning round to look for the store owner, silently bidding him to hurry. 

Eos didn't like the look of this man at all and was not surprised at how Tara did not want anything to do with him. She turned her back to him but couldn't help but feel a prickling feeling through her body. The kind she had during training with Master Azea when he was about to pull a trick on her. 

"And who is your friend? Another girl from the Desert Gem?" he asked and she felt his hand in her hair. At once, she pulled away, feeling disgust. Reigning in the urge to glare at him and beat his face in with the hard baton, Eos cursed the incense merchant and his father and ancestors. Suddenly, she felt a hand grab her shoulder roughly and turn her around. Another hand gripped her chin, forcing her to look at him. 

Immediately, Eos pulled out the baton and smashed his hand away. She froze. 

Master Azea had trained her to the extent it was now a reflex for her. But still, to hit a rich man… she was going to be in so much trouble… 

Master Leorn scowled, "How dare you, you little wretch-" 

"Leave her alone!" Tara said, "You have no right to touch her anyway. She belongs to Master Azea." 

"Do not tell me what to do, Tara," Master Leorn snapped at her. He looked ready to grab Eos again when a firm hand was placed on his shoulder. "We must ask you to refrain from harming Lord Azea's concubine," Eos' guard said, his face stern. The second guard stood by his side, hand on his sword hilt. 

Master Leorn cast his eyes at the two guards and then at the girls. He looked angry, the expression twisting his handsome face into an ugly mask instead. Without another word, he swept off. "You need to be more careful. Master Azea would have killed us if something had happened," said one of the guards, knocking Eos lightly on the head. They accompanied Tara back to Desert Gem before heading back. 

Eos was quiet during the journey, keeping her head down. After awhile, one of the guards poked her, "What's wrong, little sparrow?" 

"I'm not a sparrow," she replied, dully, "And I'm worried about Tara. That man after her is dangerous." 

"Well, the Desert Gems have guards, don't they? And I don't think your friend will be stupid enough to go wandering on her own." 

Unlike me, Eos thought to herself. But he did have a point. Tara was the careful one. She won't go looking for trouble. Still, worry continued to gnaw on her all the way back. Who knows what a person like that may try to do. There was no point asking Master Azea for help. Tara wasn't his property. He wouldn't meddle in the affairs of others. Sure, he meddled in hers, but it was all in the intent of owning her anyway. 

When Eos got back to Master Azea's quarters, he wasn't there. She frowned. It wasn't time to train or anything. Where could he be? It wasn't like him to disappear suddenly. 

She pondered about it, wondering if she should go practice her dance or something when a servant from the main house came looking for her, "Lord Griffin summons you," the servant said. Unlike the ones that served Master Azea, this one was hard to read and was perhaps a perfect servant by the way she held herself and spoke. 

Eos bowed and went to make herself more presentable. She didn't expect Lord Griffin to try and bed her, but still she prayed Goddess Rhyga that he wouldn't try it. 

She followed the servant back to the main house. "Why does Lord Griffin wish to see me?" Eos asked her. 

"Lord Griffin merely wishes to have a word with you," the servant replied. 

Eos didn't say anything but wondered what on earth was so important that he would want to speak to a slave girl. Whatever it was, it probably was bad news for her. She continued to ponder about it as she followed the servant to Lord Griffin's study. 

She knocked on the door and opened it, "Milord, the slave girl is here." 

"Good. Let her in." 

The servant ushered Eos in quickly then left. Eos wasn't quite sure what was going to happen but she knelt on the floor in front of the desk. 

"Stand," Lord Griffin told her and she obeyed, still not looking him in the eyes. 

He surveyed her for a brief moment then started, "I still don't understand why my son would go out of his way to buy you," he said, "If anything, you've caused a bit of problems for Lady Dareen." 

Yeah, she was dead. So dead. He was going to send her off or something. 

"But I must thank you." 

Wait- what?

This time Eos looked up in surprise. Lord Griffin watched her, "I have reports from his teachers and his trainers. It would seem you had a hand in his new found enthusiasm for studies and work. I'm not sure what you did, or how you did it, but thank you." 

Eos got a grip of herself and bowed again, "It is an honour, my lord," she said. 

"Very well, that is all. For now, I hope you continue to assist my son. He has stubbornness from both his mother and myself." 

For a brief moment, Eos looked surprise but hurriedly bowed again and left. She made her way back, deep in thought. 

He has stubbornness from both his mother and myself, she repeated in her head. From what she had gathered about Lord Griffin from the stories Master Azea had told her, she believed him to be a man who didn't pay much attention to the women in his life. But from what he had just said, it seemed he still remembered Master Azea's mother. And for her to show her stubborn streak to him, it would mean that they were closer than Master Azea thought them to be. 

Someone stepped out in front of Eos, causing her to jump as she almost bumped into them. 

"Forgive me-" she stopped, seeing who it was. 

Cold black eyes stared down at her and Seti's lips twisted into a smirk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment